Sunday, August 24, 2008

Master and Commander of the piano

If you have read any of the Patrick O'Brian nautical novels, or seen the movie Master and Commander, you know that Jack Aubrey is a musician as well as a sea captain. Here are a couple of excerpts:

‘You have not changed much since the old Reso, Aubrey,’ said Yorke at last. ‘I hope you still play your fiddle?’
‘Yes, I do,’ said Jack, wiping his eyes. ‘All in one basket, ha, ha, ha! Lord, I must remember to tell Sophie that, when I write. Yes, I do: and I see you have risen to a pianoforte. How do you keep it in tune?’
‘I don’t,’ said Yorke. ‘I have a key, and I make my attempts; but it is a sad jingling little box, after all. How wish I could press [conscript] a piano-tuner...’
The Fortune of War

‘I have just been picking out this piece, ma’m,’ said Stephen. ‘But the piano is sadly out of tune.’
‘I think not, sir,’ said Mrs Williams. ‘It was the most expensive instrument to be had — a Clementi. I remember its coming by the waggon as though it were yesterday.’
‘Pianos do go out of tune, Mama,’ murmured Sophia.
‘Not Clementi’s pianos, my dear,’ said Mrs Williams with a smile. ‘They are the most expensive in London...’
Post Captain

No comments: