Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Russian music school needs donations

I got this email recently. I went to their website and it looks legitimate. If it is a scam, it's for extremely low stakes.


I am writing to you on behalf of the teachers’ council of our Moscow Musical College after finding your e-mail address at the Piano Technicians Guild.

For more than 15 years we have been providing music training for children from 5 to 14 years of age. Unfortunately, because of the poor economic situation that has prevailed for a long time in Russia, we have received only minimal support from the Moscow government’s federal budget.

I would like to explain that we do not collect any tuition fees from the students at our college, otherwise the majority of parents would not be able to afford their children’s tuition. Consequently, it is becoming increasingly difficult to continue with this very worthwhile enterprise. Furthermore, when it comes to the matter of teaching materials, the situation is little short of catastrophic, particularly with regard to sound materials.

We would be extremely grateful if you could send us any recordings of music on CDs, DVDs or LPs, even if their boxes are damaged.

YOUR HELP IS NECESSARY TO US!

Yours faithfully and hoping for your help,

Nickolay Carmanow,
Director.

Moscow Musical College
39-5-25, 3-Barkovaya street
105037, Moscow
Russian Federation

Phone: 7-985-366-6917

E-mail 1:
MusicalCollege@mtu-net.ru
E-mail 2:
MusicalCollege@bk.ru

Web:
http://MusicalCollege.narod.ru

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, why is their website only in English? I'd've thought it would be in Russian if it were a Russian school.

I googled some of the supposed teachers and found no info on any of them.

I agree the stakes are low...

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a Jazz producer in Paris, my address is everywhere on the net, and I received also this email, saying they found me in the Darmstadt database, where I'm registered.
It appears to be more than a scam to me,as :
1/website only existing in english, strange, no ?
2/no mention of any teachers are on the web, as well as the school itself.
3/ this message was send also some years ago, same text.
4/ the pirat industry of european cds is very active in Russia

So I came to the conclusion that they will probably receive a bunch of cds, for the "poor russian students" and those cds will be copied for their market, as the Asian one too. Their profit can be quite high.
I won't send any of mine.